At MD Beauty Labs, we offer the latest technology and treatments for all of your skincare needs. Our photodynamic therapy is non-surgical, non-invasive, and on the cutting edge of skin revitalization. Daniela Dadurian, M.D. serves the greater Palm Beach area in Florida with multiple locations and aesthetic services.
What is Photodynamic Therapy?
Translated as “light action,” the first uses of photodynamic therapy dates back to the 1900s and have been modified and developed over time. Photodynamic therapy uses a specially-designed light source with light-activated medication to penetrate the surface of the skin and treat chronic skin conditions.
Photodynamic therapy is typically performed as three-step process:
- A light-sensitive cream, liquid or intravenous drug is administered or applied topically to treated areas
- Depending on the extent of treatment, the photosensitizer is left on the skin for a specific amount of time to target skin conditions at the correct depth
- The light source is held in front of treated areas using an appropriate wavelength, activating the photosensitizing medication
This process destroys damaged cells and also makes your skin smoother and clearer.
What are the Benefits of Photodynamic Therapy?
This innovative treatment has several advantages over other skin treatments:
- Photodynamic therapy is painless, with most patients describing the sensation as akin to a rubber band lightly snapping against the skin
- It can treat a wide range of skin conditions including Rosacea, Acne, sun damage, Psoriasis, the visible signs of aging and many others
- Besides dermatology, photodynamic therapy is also utilized in other medical fields such as oncology
Am I a Good Candidate for Photodynamic Therapy?
Although photodynamic therapy is safe and offers a quick recovery, it is not for everyone. Women who are pregnant should seek alternative treatment, and individuals who have are recently tanned or have prolonged sun exposure may be advised to wait before receiving treatment. Doctor Dadurian will evaluate your skin condition and develop a treatment plan that is customized to your individual needs.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Aside from experiencing mild redness similar to a sunburn for up to a week, patients usually experience no major side effects. It is important to follow Dr. Dadurian’s instructions for aftercare of your treated skin, such as limiting time in the sun and wearing sunscreen. Taking care of your skin can maintain and add longevity to your results.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Dadurian and discover the benefits of photodynamic therapy.